Drawings are the language used by the building industry and how you control what your finished home will be. But just how many drawings do you need to ensure your vision is executed? It really depends on the type and scope of your renovation project. An entire first floor addition will need many more detailed drawings than a kitchen remodelling project.
What Do Drawings Do?
Drawings describe how construction is to occur. As with any language, there are codes and symbols used to represent different things. From what materials to use and how walls are put together right through to where all the light switches and power points are located.
They usually require professional help to produce them to the standard required to be useful. Drawings ultimately describe what you want and how you want it to be. Those lines on a page inform the construction team what choices to make and how to deliver the dream home you want.
When building or renovating, there are a variety of drawings you may be looking at depending on what kind of work you are doing including:
- Site Plan – This describes the block of land and how your home sits on it. It also includes any notable features such as trees, services and external features.
- Floor Plans – These describe the layout of your home, showing each room and what occurs in the walls of those rooms and in each of them.
- Elevations – These are flat drawings describing the external walls of your home. They represent the outside of your house including details like walls, windows, doors, the roof and other external building features.
- Sections – These are vertical slices through your home displaying the roof, wall and floor structure. They are also useful for describing the volume, which may not be visible in other drawings.
There are more drawings used, but whether you need them depends on how big your project is, what’s required for in terms of council and building approvals and what your builder needs in terms of information.
Hiring the Right Team
Choose your designer and builder team based on their level of expertise and appropriateness for your project. Before choosing a team, look for:
- Their portfolio and see if their designs appeal to you
- Proof of their professional qualifications and licences
- References or examples of their previous work in your area
- If they belong to a state or nationally recognised professional association.
Using a company that provides both professional design and construction services can help ensure your vision is consistently executed. You’ll also want to find a team that you feel comfortable talking to and are willing to rely on throughout the project.
Expert Renovation Designing and Builds in Sydney
Contact the leading designers and builders at Extend a Home for expert renovations. Our team specialises in ground floor extensions and first floor home additions for homes throughout Sydney, with over 80 years of combined experience bringing functional and beautiful home renovation ideas to life.
Call us today on 02 9736 3344 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Project: When the house was renovated by Extend a Home, I felt as if we’d doubled our house size.I just felt this was realy the home the would set us up for the next 10 years. The way they designed and built into it, it felt a lot larger, like we got a lot more bang for the buck than we expected we would
Project: I feel like I’ve died and gone to heaven in this house.I walk in, and it’s a sense of peace ’cause the openness and the light. It’s like people rent a place like this for their summer holidays and I feel like I’m here.
I felt like my dream had come true. This is a house that we can leave our sons with confidence so it was an investment as much as it was a lifestyle change. With renovating and extending,we’ve got more storage, especially the study and the library. As a handyman myself, I was looking for attention to detail.in the work they did, the quality of the work, so nothing is too hard and it sort of just ran smoothly
When the house was fully renovated, I felt like it was somewhere that I wanted to stay for the rest of my life it really is a friendly home to be proud of, My experience working with Extend a Home was far more pleasant than I ever thought it could be
Project: When the house was newly renovated by Extend a Home, we fet so happy, we finally got the property that we’d actually envisaged in our minds and that we always wanted. Its delivered everything that we expected and more
Project: When Extend A Home extended our home I felt that everything was under control while they are managing the project they know what they are doing and I feel that I’m safe in their hands.We needed the space for our relatives that come over and would like to live in this place a bit longer